Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Hotter than a snakes ass in a wagon rut


Hot and wet.  I've never really understood or felt humidity before.  You see Al Roker on the Today show tell you that it's a muggy, humid day in D.C. in the middle of the Summer and everyone on the Hill should bring an extra suit to work today or that them creole folk are going to be sweating over their gumbo due to the heat index and high humidity down South.  I've never felt that type of humidity before though, until now.  Here's whats happening in my neck of the woods- about 90 F and 66% humidity, which feels like 103 F in Taoyuan City.  Most of the time there is a slight cloud cover, but it doesn't feel like it, and those wispy stretched out cotton balls only trap in the moisture.  I step out of our air conditioned oasis and I instantly feel my pores ramping up.  It smells a little like a basement that has recently been flooded and is still drying out.  After about 10 minutes my body adjusts to its new climate and the waterfall of sweat on my lower back starts to slow.  Once I hop on the scooter, the warm wind of the dank city continues to help cool me off....sort of.  Look out for that mother carrying her two children across the road, heads up for that inconsiderate driver making an illegal turn, watch out parked car opening its door into the scooter lane.
We have a 4 person adult pool set up in our sun room and that helps combat the heat, though we really only use it in the evening.  
Taiwanese people are like vampires this time of year.  Sure there are people that come out at sun up to do Tai-Chi in a nearby park (that's when the trees are releasing the best and most energy).  People have to commute to work or school, which is air conditioned if they are lucky.  But really, these people come out at night.  Once night falls, the temperature sinks to a frigid 81 F (same humidity) and you are graced with an occasional cool breeze off of the river.  People pack the parks, river walkways, night restaurants, and sidewalks.  Being Bushiban Teachers we teach from early evening until about 9:15pm every night, and I can tell you that one of the best sensations I have had in my short time here in Taiwan is driving home on my scooter with that wonderful semi-cool night breeze and seeing the streets alive with people and culture.  Sometimes my helmet will fill with the smell of a street vendor's food specialty.  Is that stinky Tofu? Yeck!  Sweet pineapple, beef noodle soup, fried anything.  Neon lights and distant honks complete this sensory overload and I truly appreciate being in a very foreign place.
This weekend we are going to try to make it to a nearby town called Yingge (Inguh) which is known for its porcelain production and pottery.  It is our friend Steve's last weekend in town and it will be a great way pass the time together...even if I have to change my sweat soaked shirt every hour :)
If this post sounds like one big complaint about the weather here in Taiwan, then I apologize.  The truth is- I have enjoyed every minute of it.
-Hal

2 comments:

  1. It all sounds wonderful (except the scooter danger parts). I can almost feel the humidity myself from your descriptions. Nice job! Maybe coming in Winter is a good idea now that I hear all this. Miss you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TOO HOT! The scootering sounds like a blast though!

      Delete